Wednesday 24 May 2017

Holistic canine massage - noise phobia

Meet Binx 

But say his name quietly. Binx has noise phobia. Not just fireworks or noises like that but lots of things can make this dear boy anxious. The sound of a golf club on a golf ball if walking past a golf course, the bathroom door banging upstairs, motor bikes outside....you get the idea. 

 His Mum was referred to me after the trainer at his weekly dog class noticed that he was limping a little. When his mum read all the benefits that canine massage can do, she asked if I would be willing to come over and see if we could design a massage routine to help calm him down as well as looking at his wobbly leg. She was very interested in the energy healing aspect of AchyPaw massage therapy. 

I was told he can be a big aloof with people. I must have been giving off extra calming vibes then, as he simply lay down on the massage mat and didn't move for 120 minutes. His Mum was constantly shaking her head and saying "What are you doing? He is NEVER like this". It's sometimes a little difficult to isolate the specific - but it works, so I certainly wasn't going to stop. He loved everything I was doing to him...not a single complaint - except if I stopped. 

We had to help him up to turn him over so his Mum could practice the relaxing routine on his other side. 

2 hours later he eased himself up to the sofa with his head on one of the arms. As his Mum and I were chatting, his little head was slipping down the arm....he couldn't hold himself up he was so un-anxious (which isn't a word but sums up Binx's responses). His reaction and responses to the session really made my day. 

 This is what holistic massage therapy is all about - applying it to help all with sorts of different conditions. I've discovered, over my years of practice, that it isn't only indicated for arthritis or mobility issues - in the last few weeks I've had epileptic dogs, dogs with muscle tremors, anxious dogs, wobbly dogs, senior dogs...massage therapy can be inclusive and not exclusive. I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment